I am a new pilot, I fly a Cessna 172 heavy, and I wanted to be cool like my instructor Jim Hoddenbach. Jim enjoys his Zulu 2 headset and of course recommended those to me, but the price on them made me think that it wasn’t THAT important to be as cool as Jim.
So I went online and looked around for some alternatives. It should be said that I am biased toward DC’s, because in every movie, all the pilots headsets have that classic DC green. And part of my love affair with aviation includes the history and culture of it. So, what I really wanted was to have some DC’s, just better ones than the standard, classic pairs.
So when they released their DC PRO-X model, and I was immediately intrigued enough to buy.
- The Bluetooth is great! Works well, connects fast and consistently, and the sound quality is wonderful.
- The Noise cancelation works amazingly well for a non-earcup stlye headset. Blew me away!
- Again the sound quality for music, phone, and radio is great!
- Low profile wear — What I mean by this is that I cannot feel the headset on my head once it’s on and situated, it disappears! This is the #1 selling point for me, it does not cause pain after/during long flights. I can wear sunglasses with them and it does not reduce the contact the ear pieces have with me head and thus reduce performance of the headset.
- The small size and the fact that it folds up made the bag this thing came with a super handy deal with extra space to keep my key, med cert, and various other items that I always need on me while I fly (Like my BadElf).
- That #1 selling point… it’s also the #1 con. A small tug on the cables and the headset moves a little breaking the effective contact point with your ears. It requires adjustment to be comfortable again. Even though that rarely happens to me, you can guess the times when it does: in the pattern while I am looking aggressively for traffic.
- I tried hard to think of another “con” but I couldn’t.
If you’re interested in purchasing this very cool headset, just drop by the Disciples of Flight Pilot Shop here:
Buy the DC PRO X Headset